Holden’s ground-breaking long-range Volt electric car will introduce new advanced safety features to the Holden range when it goes on sale in New Zealand at the end of the year.
Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning will be offered for the first time in a Holden, ensuring Volt offers some of the most advanced vehicle technology and cutting edge safety features in New Zealand.
The Volt’s Forward Collision Alert is powered by front sensor indicators positioned on the windscreen alerting the driver via an audible alarm if they are travelling too close to the vehicle in front.
A Lane Departure Warning camera is also positioned on the windscreen and detects if the driver veers or swerves out of a marked lane without indicating.
Volt’s safety is further enhanced with the inclusion of eight airbags and a rear view camera.
The Volt’s infotainment system continues the theme of advanced technology, with a standard 7-inch colour LCD touch screen, satellite navigation, audio interface including voice recognition and Bluetooth®, DVD playback, MP3 plug and play functionality and USB input with iPod® compatibility.
A 30GB inbuilt hard drive enables users to store their own music tracks while audio is delivered through a six speaker premium Bose® audio system with amplifier and sub-woofer.
Even Volt’s sound system is focused on minimising energy usage. The Bose® Energy Efficiency Series speaker system uses 50 per cent less energy than comparable Bose® systems but with a sound that remains 100 per cent crystal clear.
Holden New Zealand Managing Director, Jeff Murray said that Holden had determined to highly specify the Volt for its launch in New Zealand “Volt has already won numerous awards around the world and now we are offering some of the most advanced technologies that ever arrived on our shores,” Mr Murray said. “The Holden Volt proves that electric cars don’t need to be small and unusual looking to make a statement. This car is the perfect package of advanced technologies which boast premium features and of course, design.
“This is an incredible car to drive with great road handling and has all the performance customers have come to expect from a Holden vehicle it also removes Long Range Anxiety with the Volt being able to travel more than 600km without compromise. “Given what the Holden Volt has to offer with its technologies, design and features this car becomes a very compelling choice for the customer concerned about the environment without having to sacrifice style, space and comfort and it is all here in one car.
This car ticks all the boxes for those who considered an electrical car before were concerned about space and style this is also the car for customers looking at premium European vehicles.”
Volt pricing has been confirmed at $85,000 RRP.
Additionally Holden has today confirmed an eight year/160,000 kilometre warranty will be offered on the Volt battery and Voltec components. The warranty includes all 161 components of the Volt’s battery, its charging, thermal-management system and components of its electric drive system, and is transferable to other vehicle owners.
Volt owners also benefit from a premium Holden roadside assist program.
Prospective Volt buyers can now place an order with their local specialist dealer with the first cars scheduled to be delivered to customers before the end of the year. The three Volt Dealers located around the country are Schofield Holden in Newmarket Auckland, Ebbett Holden in Wellington and Blackwells Holden in Christchurch but customers can feel free to pop into their local Holden Dealership for more information.
Holden Volt Specification and Feature Highlights:
Propulsion Volt is powered by GM’s revolutionary electric propulsion system; it consists of a 16.5-kWh lithium-ion battery pack and electric drive unit that provides a pure electric range of up to 87 kilometres depending on driving conditions. A 1.4 litre petrol-powered generator extends the range by maintaining a charge in the battery to power the wheels until the car can be recharged, giving a total range of over 600 kilometres depending on conditions.
Drivers can choose from three driving modes – normal, sport and hold. Sport mode is designed to give the driver maximum driving enjoyment through heightened response times and sports feedback. Alternatively the driver can select hold mode, which conserves the power in the battery and maintains an electric charge from the petrol generator.
Engine and Transmission
- Electric drive unit which incorporates Automatic transmission – electronic ratio select
- 1.4 litre DOHC petrol 4-cylinder engine
- Battery - 16.5-kWh lithium-ion rechargeable energy storage system; includes liquid thermal management system with active control
- Output 111kW @ 5000rpm (est)
- Electric drive – 370Nm motoring torque
Volt’s cockpit design creates a unique driving experience. The touch sensitive centre stack houses a 7 inch LCD colour touch screen which relays real-time information on energy use and power flow to the driver. It offers the driver efficiency feedback based on driving style and climate settings and will even give tips on how to reduce energy usage.
Voice recognition allows voice control on certain Bluetooth® radio, audio system and navigation functions, including selecting radio stations, audio tracks, navigation settings and pre-set destinations.
- Bluetooth® with voice recognition
- Cruise control
- Touch-screen satellite navigation
- Steering wheel height and reach adjust
- Automatic headlights
- Instruments – dimmable
- Headlamp – levelling control (manual)
- Front and rear park assist
- Rear view camera
- 7-inch reconfigurable instrument cluster display, featuring:
- Average fuel consumption
- Driving range – electric, petrol and total
- Electronic speedometer o Feedback on driver usage and habits
- Trip computer
- Tyre pressure monitoring system
- 7-inch colour LCD touch-screen showing:
- Audio information o Air conditioning information
- Outside temperature o Time and date
- Vehicle personalisation settings
- Energy flow
- Configurable charge options,
- Drive efficiency information
- Multifunction steering wheel controls with illumination, featuring:
- Cruise control
- Audio System
- Forward collision alerts and lane departure warning
- Charge cord set
- Electrochromatic inside rear view mirror (light sensitive)
- Passive entry and start with sensor key technology
- Electronic climate control
- Leather sports seat (front heated)
- DVD playback with MP3 compatibility, in dash CD, radio and MP3 ‘plug and play’ functionality
- USB input with iPod® compatibility
- DVD player (plays on screen when stationary)
- 6 speaker premium audio system (Bose®) with amplifier and sub-woofer
Volt’s designers focused on aerodynamic styling but aesthetics haven’t been compromised to deliver on performance. Vertical blades running from the spoiler to the bumper trick the air, creating an extremely low drag coefficient of 0.28.
Volt exterior design highlights include:
- 17 inch alloy wheels (4)
- Integrated rear spoiler
- Projector headlights
- LED daytime running lamps
- Side mirror turning signals
Volt is available in five exterior colours: White Diamond - Nitrate Silver - Urban Fresh - Crystal Claret - Black
Holden Volt offers a comprehensive range of safety features including Forward Collision Alert, Lane Departure Warning and eight airbags.
- Airbags – Dual front, front seat side and curtain airbags (dual stage), left and right hand front knee
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC) incorporating:
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Brake Assist (BA)
- Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD)
- Traction Control System (TCS)
- Pedestrian friendly alert (driver activated)
- Sensor indicators incorporating lane departure warning, following distance and forward collision alert
- Seatbelt warning – all seats
- Electric park brake
- Brakes – front and rear disc, fully regenerative to maximise energy capture
- Child restraint anchors (2)